If you are heterosexual or cisgender (which means that your biological sex matches your gender identity – the opposite of transgender) then you’ve probably enjoyed the following privileges:
- I am never asked to speak for everyone who is heterosexual.
- People don't ask why I made my choice of sexual orientation.
- Strangers don’t assume they can ask me what my genitals look like and how I have sex.
- People don't ask why I made my choice to be public about my sexual orientation.
- I don’t need to worry about being placed in a sex-segregated detention center, holding facility, jail or prison that is incongruent with my identity.
- I do not have to fear revealing my sexual orientation to friends or family because it's assumed.
- I can walk in public with my significant other and not have people double-take or stare.
- I can use public facilities such as gym locker rooms and store changing rooms without stares, fear, or anxiety.
Nobody should have to deal with the above. To bring to light and help support LGBT youth who are battling with their sexual orientation and gender identity in HRM and surrounding areas, Tempo will be holding a Pride Bake Sale outside our front doors. On July 27th from Noon to 3pm, on the corner of Barrington + Duke Streets, come down and grab a cool + refreshing lemonade or one of our exquisitely decorated cupcakes!
All profits made from sales will go directly to The Youth Project.